The Adventure Summit is an event celebrating the spirit of outdoor adventure by showcasing the vibrant lifestyle and culture of human powered endeavors through inspiration, education, and experience.
The Adventure Summit is the area’s premier outdoor adventure exposition that will focus attention on Dayton as the Outdoor Adventure Capital of the Midwest. The event is free and open to outdoor enthusiasts of all ages and interest levels.
The Adventure Summit will serve the adventure market from skill clinics and hands-on trainings from some of the world’s leading experts to showcasing local places to play and locals who have played around the world. The Adventure Summit is committed to providing something for everyone from the armchair adventurer to the hard core enthusiast.
On behalf of Five Rivers MetroParks and Wright State University we would like to thank all who support The Adventure Summit. Our volunteers, media partners and event sponsors are crucial to the continued success of The Adventure Summit. We hope to see you on a return visit to The Adventure Capital of the Midwest: Dayton, OH.
The Evolution of the Adventure Summit
The Adventure Summit has built a strong foundation and continues to evolve. In response to the popularity of the speaker series, a special Adventure Summit Speakers Series will rotate biennially with the traditional Adventure Summit weekend format.
2011 marked the debut of The Adventure Speaker Series featuring presentations throughout the winter culminating with a keynote presentation by a nationally known personality.
The Adventure Summit weekend format known today will rotate every other year with even more excitement with the expo, competitions, pool, climbing, and fitness programming, and of course dozens of local adventurers and featured personality’s inspiring new audiences.
- 2011 – Adventure Speaker Series
- 2012 – Adventure Summit
- 2013 – Adventure Speaker Series
- 2014 – Adventure Summit
- 2015 – Adventure Speaker Series
- 2016 – Adventure Summit
- 2017 – Adventure Speaker Series
- 2018 – Adventure Summit
- 2019 – Adventure Speaker Series
History of World-Class Outdoor Personalities
- 2006 – Andy Politz, expedition member of the team that found the body of George Mallory on Mt. Everest
- 2007 – Eric Jackson, owner of Jackson Kayaks and world champion kayaker
- 2007 – Craig Luebben, author and renowned climber
- 2008 – Jonny Mosely, U.S. Olympic gold medal skier and entertainer
- 2009 – Ann Bancroft, Polar explorer and first woman to cross the ice of the North and South Poles
- 2010 – Charlie Engle, Ultra Endurance Athlete and Humanist. Led an expedition running 4500 miles in 111 days across the Sahara Desert
- 2010 – Andrew Skurka, Long Distance Hiker and Backpacker
- 2010 – Jon Dorn, Editor in Chief of Backpacker Magazine
- 2011 – Speaker Series, Alison Gannett, Champion free-skier and mountain biker, climate specialist and farmer
- 2012 – Gary Fisher, Founding father of mountain biking
- 2012 – Gregg Treinish and Deia Schlosberg, Andes Trekkers and 2008 National Geographic Adventurers of the year
- 2013 – Speaker Series, Majka Burhardt, Climber and Author
- 2014 – Dave Cornthwaite, Expedition 1000, 25 journeys over 1,000 miles
- 2014 – Jon Turk, Expedition Kayaker
- 2016 – Amy Purdy, Paralympic medalist snow boarder, founder of Adaptive Action Sports, and Dancing with the Stars finalist
- 2016 – Luke “Strider” Jordan, Long distance backpacker and North Country Trail thru-hiker
- 2017 – Speaker Series- Jordan Hart, Biking the Underground Railroad, Todd Soprych, Bikepacking the Great Divide, Chuck and Beth Hewett, Backpacking the Buckeye Trail, Chad Ingle and Jeremy Cox, Paddling the Great Miami
- 2018 – Jordan Romero, the youngest to summit all seven summit and hold the record for being the youngest to summit Mount Everest
- 2018 – Susan Conrad, solo kayaked the Inside Passage
- 2018 – Dale “Grey Beard” Sanders, oldest to have thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail in one calendar year at age 82.
Something New Every Year
- 2006 – 1ST year of the event. Featured Andy Politz. Event took place on a week night.
- 2007 – Expanded to multi-day, weekend event. Added expo, more than 50 educational sessions and “party with the pros” event.
- 2008 – Record crowds of more than 5,000 visitors. Competitions added to the schedule including a bouldering comp, snowboard rail jam and kayak championship. Beer tastings and live acoustic music in the expo also highlighted the weekend.
- 2009 – Created “The Making of an Outdoor Woman” theme for the weekend, highlighted by the visit of legendary polar explorer, Ann Bancroft. Ann gave a memorable keynote program and participated in a roundtable discussion that inspired both men and women of all ages at the Summit.
- 2010 – Added a opening night with a free screening of the documentary “Running the Sahara” starring our keynote speaker Charlie Engle. Charlie Engle is an ultra endurance runner and humanitarian. His talents were on full display with an inspiring keynote program and spirited Discover America question and answer session. Other featured personalities included Jon Dorn, Backpacker Magazine and Andrew Skurka, professional backpacker and adventurer. The family camping experience was added to incorporate adventurers of all ages.
- 2011 – Launch of the Adventure Speaker Series
- 2012 – Canoe Battleship, mountain biking program track, indoor duathlon
- 2014 – Kayak Polo, college student program tracks and pool party, Reel Paddling Film Festival, Indoor Triathlon
- 2015 – Highlight of local adventurers
- 2016 – The Adventure Summit celebrates 10 years!
- 2018 – Three featured presenters adventuring from the youngest to the oldest and everywhere in between.
About Five Rivers MetroParks
Five Rivers MetroParks focuses on three areas – conservation, recreation and education – as part of its role as steward of Greater Dayton’s public lands. Established in 1963 through the efforts of forward-thinking citizens concerned about preserving green space and natural areas, Five Rivers MetroParks has grown to a nationally renowned park system composed of natural area parks, gardens, sensitive river corridors, urban parks, and a network of recreation trails. Educational programs and recreational opportunities are offered year-round for all ages. And, diverse natural habitats are being protected and cared for today to assure their existence in the future. The Outdoor Recreation Department is committed to creating access through innovative outdoor recreation programming, events and facilities such as MoMBA, the Twin Valley Backpacking Trail, Mad River Run Whitewater Park and the Englewood Disc Golf Course.
To learn more about; Five Rivers MetroParks, visit metroparks.org or call (937) 275-PARK (7275).
To learn more about Five Rivers MetroParks’ outdoor recreation initiative, visit our Outdoor Recreation page.
About Wright State University
Wright State University is the proud partner of The Adventure Summit and is located at 3640 Colonel Glenn Highway. Named after the world-famous Wright brothers, Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio,continues their spirit of innovation. The university serves nearly 17,000 students, offering more than 100 undergraduates and 50 Ph.D., graduate, and professional degrees in addition to a full service outdoor resource center offering outdoor recreation opportunities, team building, and equipment rental.
To learn more about Wright State University, visit www.wright.edu
To learn more about the WSU Outdoor Resource Center, visit www.wright.edu/crec and navigate to the outdoor rec program information.
Contact: Erin Sherrets
Outdoor Recreation Program Manager